Re: potato to woody was Re: FTP install

Peter Watkinson wrote:

Hi folks,

I've now installed the base system over the internet. But when using
base-config I put in my nearest mirror and select the packages I want then
it gives me an error message saying what looks like a newer package has been
installed (I suspect from Woody) while base-config is trying to install
potato. Is there a tool instead of base-config that will let me install
woody instead of potato? bearing in mind I've got no X and base system
installed only.

This is a problem which will only be resolved when woody becomes stable.

The problem is, base-config assumes that woody is "stable". So it fetches the package list for "stable", and tries to install its packages. However, right now, potato is "stable", so it's trying to install potato packages on top of woody's base.

To get around this, you have to quit dselect, edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list changing "stable" to "woody", and run dselect again. (Assuming base includes an editor you can use...) When woody becomes stable, then change "woody" back to "stable" in the same file, so you will automatically upgrade when woody's successor is released.

When you do this, you will find all of KDE among woody's 8500+ packages available for alpha.

Alas, Debian installation is not the most user-friendly, especially pre-release... But enough good people are working hard on it that 3.1 should be enormously easier.

[Note to list members: *please* remember to mention this bit when recommending that newbies install woody instead of potato!!]

HTH,
--

-Adam P.

Welcome to the best software in the world today cafe! <http://lyre.mit.edu/%7Epowell/The_Best_Stuff_In_The_World_Today_Cafe.ogg>