Re: potato to woody was Re: FTP install

Adam C Powell IV <hazelsct@mit.edu> wrote:

> Peter Watkinson wrote:
>
> >I've now installed the base system over the internet. But when using
> >base-config I put in my nearest mirror and select the packages I want then
> >it gives me an error message saying what looks like a newer package has been
> >installed (I suspect from Woody) while base-config is trying to install
> >potato.
>
> This is a problem which will only be resolved when woody becomes stable.
>
> The problem is, base-config assumes that woody is "stable".  So it
> fetches the package list for "stable", and tries to install its
> packages.  However, right now, potato is "stable", so it's trying to
> install potato packages on top of woody's base.
>
> To get around this, you have to quit dselect, edit the file
> /etc/apt/sources.list changing "stable" to "woody", and run dselect
> again.

This probably explains a bug I had installing woody on i386 last week
using the woody_netinst-20020215-i386.iso ISO image.  After base was
installed, I installed a few things by hand instead of letting go into
tasksel by itself.  I later went into tasksel and and it failed, trying
to install packages only available in potato.

I have another i386 I need to install woody on, so I'll follow the
newbie path this time to see if problems arise.  I assumed it was
something I did the last time around.

Peter