Kernel build problems

Hello,

I am trying to build a kernel for my 633 MHz Ruffian. I can build a kernel with 2.2.19 sources, and the build goes wonderfully, but when I try to boot the new kernel from the MILO console, I get, so far, one of two error messages:

1.  kernel panic.  unable to mount root filesystem (previous attempt)

2. length error (current build)

the milo command I'm using is:

MILO>boot sda2:/boot/vmlinux-2.2.19.gz root=/dev/sda2

I have a System.map-2.2.19 file in my /boot. At all times, I can boot from the /vmlinuz symlink to the /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.18pre21-generic kernel. I need the new kernel to support my IDE CD-RW.

Thanks,
--Shannon