Re: 2.4.18 kernel compile

On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 02:50:33PM -0400, Christopher C. Chimelis wrote:
> If this is the same problem as most of the unresolved references that I've
> seen on i386, then this is most definitely a kernel problem.  What
> happened is that the kernel was placing the code for some symbols in a
> section that is discarded by the kernel's linker script, so the symbols
> that are in that discarded section cannot be referenced.  To see if this
> is the same problem, try removing the " *(.text.exit)" entry from the
> /DISCARD/ line at the end of arch/alpha/vmlinux.lds.in.  If this allows
> the kernel to link, then it's definitely the same problem that many of the
> drivers exhibit.  If this is the case, I can probably provide a patch that
> you could submit upstream to fix this (I don't have the available time to
> follow-up on a kernel patch personally right now).

This isn't the binutils problem?  It looks a bit like it.  You need to
stop it doing some part of the process and you get a working but
slightly bigger kernel.

--
Craig Small VK2XLZ  GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
Eye-Net Consulting http://www.eye-net.com.au/        <csmall@eye-net.com.au>