2.4.18 kernel compile

or should i say, lack there of of compile.

This isnt the first time it happens to me, it seems i'm very limited to what i can build as far as kernels go. What happens is the following. I use the same config (or VERY similar) configs every time i go to compile, so there's really is no chance that its "my" fault. I then do make dep as usual, and then make vmlinux (anyone know why make vmlinuz or bzimage dont work on alphas?).

It goes through the compile and gives a few warnings here and there, which im used to, for example:
In file included from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/locks.h:8,
                 from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/devfs_fs_kernel.h:6,
                 from tty_io.c:101:
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/pagemap.h:32: warning: `page_cache_release' redefined /usr/src/linux/include/linux/modules/ksyms.ver:38: warning: this is the location of the previous definition

That comes up often (in this "bad" kernel). Once at the end of the compile where it puts all the different parts together, it gives:

        -o vmlinux
fs/fs.o: In function `generic_cont_expand':
fs/fs.o(.text+0x7074): undefined reference to `page_cache_release'
fs/fs.o(.text+0x7078): undefined reference to `page_cache_release'
fs/fs.o: In function `cont_prepare_write':
fs/fs.o(.text+0x7190): undefined reference to `page_cache_release'
fs/fs.o(.text+0x7194): undefined reference to `page_cache_release'
fs/fs.o(.text+0x7250): undefined reference to `page_cache_release'
fs/fs.o(.text+0x7254): more undefined references to `page_cache_release' follow
make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1

Sometimes its a whole lot more of these errors, other times its less. Every time i mention this in #debian i get "thats a gcc problem." and when i ask whats wrong with gcc, i get "thats a binutils problem." and when i ask whats wrong with binutils i get "thats a kernel problem." As you can see, i get nowheres.

Do any of you know whats going on? I've just be told that 2.4.19 is out, and possibly something newer than that, so im going to try those.

Richard Fillion
rick@rhix.dhs.org