Re: EM86

Of course, while I was in the middle of composing the first edition of this reply, Netscape crashed.
However - what URL were you using? I noticed one of them was dead. I was able to download the
software earlier this week. Try the following URL: netscape
You'll need Alien, and, IMHO, I'd convert to a .deb and install in one pass. I still can't figure out
how to tell apt to install from an arbitrary .deb.
Also, why bother with EM86? Most of the "interesting" apps on that platform require NT.
--
microsoft free by 2003

Richard Fillion wrote:
I havent been on this list in a few months now (which is strange seeing

Tonight i realized how (by lack of a better word) crappy the Linux/Alpha
broswers are, i couldnt navigate any sites with the least bit of complex
_javascript_.  I tried with Mozilla and Konqueror with the same results
(utter frustration).  So i checked if there was a Netscape port to Alpha
or something, which i found there was but i wasnt able to download it
from Compaq.  I no longer really care about the browsers, what i do care
about is what i found while looking for netscape.

EM86, the x86 emulator for Alphas.  I almost fell on the floor when i
found out it existed, and that it was made by Digital (people who im
guessing knew the Alpha well).  So i downloaded what i could find of 0.4
in RPM format, converted them to debs, and installed them.  Once that
was done, i went to run it and i got:

em86: error in loading shared libraries: em86: undefined symbol: __getdents.

A bit frustrated, i uninstalled it and went to download an older version
i found which actually had a  "how to install" file, it was 0.2 of EM86.
  I installed exactly like they said and i get:

em86: error while loading shared libraries: unexpected reloc type 0x01@

My search on google began.  I found out that i'm far from being the
first to get that undefined symbol error, but i have yet to find a
solution to it.  Everywhere where i've seen "solutions" it was kernel
related stuff, which i already had going.

I did read though that EM86 doesnt work with new versions of glibc,
would any of you know if there is any truth to that?  EM86 looks to be
very interesting, i would really like to get it going if at all possible.

Thanks,

Richard Fillion
rick@rhix.dhs.org