Problems running emacs under X11

Hi all,

before filing a (possibly unnecessary) bug report, I would like to ask
the Debian Alpha community if anyone else is having problems running
emacs under X11.

My system is a Multia aka "the Vietnam of Alpha engineering" (definition
recently coined by Wilko Bulte on the NetBSD alpha list). I am running
latest woody, with XFree86 4.1 (4.1.0-13) using the TGA driver, xdm and
fvwm.

The problem: both emacs20 (20.7-10.1) and emacs21 (21.1-7) fail under
X11 but run OK on the text console or when invoked with the -nw option.

emacs20: runs OK on remote X servers (i.e. on the display of another
machine) but freezes the whole user interface without displaying any
windows when invoked on the local display.

emacs21: never gets past the point where "loading image ... done" is
shown in the minibuffer.

I have very limited experience of programming/debugging under Linux so I
do not have any idea where to start looking for the problem. There are
two active bugs against emacs20 that are somewhat similar to my problem
(#117219 on the MIPS platform and #122097 on GNU/Hurd).

Can anyone reproduce this on an Alpha or suggest any corrective action,
please?

Regards,
Topi