Re: kernel compile HOWTO

On Friday, February 15, 2002, at 08:00 AM, Rob Byrnes wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "<framling> Barton Andras" <framling@sch.bme.hu>
Subject: kernel compile HOWTO

Hello,

Is there a howto for compiling linux kernel for alpha? (Compaq
alphaserver ds 10)

Under Debian it is even easier. Install the "kernel-package" package, makes compiling a kernel a breeze (ignore the problems that I am having ... I have
made this work previously).  The only problem that I can see is that it
works best with debian packages of the kernel source. If there is a way to
make it work with standard sources, can someone clue me up?

It seems to work equally well with arbitrary source trees, following the instructions included with the package - basically, quoting /usr/doc/kernel-package/README:

 For the Brave and the impatient:
Phase ONE: Getting and configuring the kernel
 1% cd <kernel source tree>
 2% make config   # or make menuconfig or make xconfig and configure
Phase TWO: Create a portable kernel image .deb file
 3% make-kpkg clean
 4% $Get_Root make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image
      (Get_Root is whatever you need to become root -- fakeroot or
      sudo are examples that come to mind).
Phase THREE: Install the kernel image on one or more machines
 5# dpkg -i ../kernel-image-X.XXX_1.0_<arch>.deb
 6# shutdown -r now # If and only if LILO worked or you have a means of
                    # booting the new kernel. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

e.g. in my case, I do (as root):

cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig
make-kpkg clean
make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image
dpkg -i ...etc...

I install the kernel image manually on Alpha.

Toby

Cheers,
Rob