Re: 2.4.14 kernel build error

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Craig Small wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 04:09:52PM -0500, Christopher C. Chimelis wrote:
> > The problem is that the kernel's linker script discards the .text.exit
> > section, but some of the code in the kernel is trying to reference
> > symbols that are in that section (wrongly so, btw).  Binutils upstream
> > recently tightened down on linking such binaries (it now doesn't let it
> > happen, whereas before it would just keep quiet and link), thereby fixing
> > what many considered a bug in the linker.
> >

> I got this message too on a sparc I was building, I just unselected some
> kernel option (think it was an ethernet card type) and it compilied ok.

Yes.  The problem code isn't in every driver in the kernel, but it occurs
enough to be time-intensive to fix.  So, some configs will link fine
(coincidentally, my i386's config linked fine on my i386 during binutils
testing prior to uploading 12.3-1, which is why initially I couldn't
reproduce the problem when I got the first few complaints.  Other people,
though, had configs that exposed the problem in more than five locations
in the kernel source.

The problem drivers are slowly getting fixed upstream, though, so a bit of
patience and patching is all that's really needed for now.