Re: (alpha) YES, we have working boot-floppies

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Donald R. Spoon wrote:

> Stefan Schroepfer wrote:
> >
> > Goswin Brederlow wrote:
> > >
> > > [...]
> > > With or without the bootable flag set?
> >
> > Without. Not necessary to make such a setting for ARC or
> > AlphaBIOS machines (correct me if there are exceptions!).
> >
> > Just to remember: There are now two reports about Milo
> > 2.2.17 not working: On PC164 and on XLT. Both have ARC
> > firmware, right Don?
>
> No, my XLT has Alphabios version 5.70 installed.  I have contacted
> Stepan Reinauer about this and we are just starting to work on it.  I
> have tried both the 2.2.18 and 2.2.17 milos and neither work here.

	I can confirm both of the above statements. My two XLTs have
AlphaBIOS (5.66 if I remember correctly), and I have never gotten one to
boot with any 2.2 based milo. I always had to resort back to the 2.0 based
milos, which of course do not support the 2.2 ext2fs. Both of my XLTs have
two extra partitions, one fat for milo, and one 2.0 ext2fs for the
kernel. Then everything works just fine.
	I would offer to test milos on my XLTs, but neither of them are
too available for experimentation (one is a web server, another a file
server). Though I could probably do verification testing on some final,
believed working milos if that would be of any help.
	Anyway, my two cents on the subject. TTYL.

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                    |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)   |
|   Ryan Kirkpatrick  |  Boulder, Colorado  |  http://www.rkirkpat.net/   |