Re: ITP: CPML and CXML alpha installer packages

"T. Weyergraf" wrote:

> I'd be happy to provide any assistance, if desired. I have written some
> scripts, that cleans up
> the mess left behind, if the packages are installed on a Debian system using
> the rpm-deb.
> I can complete them for the various packages involved - currently they only
> cover
> the C-compiler, since that's the only one I use ;-)

Great, it sounds like we have a good team.  I'm no Debian packaging expert, but
have spent a fair amount of time studying the system.  For cpml and cxml, the
"cleanup" is pretty simple: postinst merely creates and strips the shared lib,
sets permissions appropriately, and puts the files where they should be in a
Debian system.  Oh- and registers the MASSIVE cxml documentation with doc-base
(though this doesn't work yet, and I've no idea why).

I'll try to add the /proc/cpuinfo | grep | cut trick for identifying system
type.  I think it only needs to prohibit installation of the ev6 packages on
pre-ev6 machines, because the ev5 libs will work on ev6 machines, right?  (In
case someone wants to install a uniform package list on a heterogeneous cluster
or something...)  I'll issue a warning for ev5 package installation on an ev6.

One important note: these packages start with just the files, meaning no scripts
are run from the RPM at all.  (Are RPM "postinst" scripts included in alienized
.debs?  If so, I'll have to figure out a way to get at them.)

That said, I know the ccc installer should run create-comp-config.sh (or perhaps
create its own comp.config), adding the correct libgcc.a directory, and make the
symlinks right.  Anything else important?  The current location of libgcc.a is
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/alpha-linux/2.95.3/ with gcc-2.95 installed, so the installer
will depend on gcc-2.95 for this.  If the location changes, there will have to
be a new version of the installer package...  Oh- and I'll have to figure out
how to do the ccc man pages right.

Okay.  Chris and Thomas (and others), could you glance over the cpml and cxml
packages for correctness?  I'll make a couple of changes to those two packages
(like CPU dependence) and put up -2 at some point today or tomorrow, then get to
work on ccc, cfal, cfalrtl, cxx and ladebug in approximately that order.

I do have one question for the Debian packaging experts.  I specified the
section for cpml-ev5 as contrib/libs in the control file, and dpkg -I on the
binary package shows it there too.  But when installed, dpkg -s and dselect list
cpml-ev5 under section compaq, along with the libots .deb (which should be in
compaq), and cxml-ev5 is in contrib/libs as it should be.  Anyone with any ideas
on why?

Thanks very much,

-Adam P.