Re: ITP: CPML and CXML alpha installer packages

Hi,

> Package: wnpp
> Severity: wishlist
> License: GPL
> Section: contrib/libs
>
> Hello,
>
> The (proprietary) Compaq compilers and libraries for Alpha processors
> mostly come only in RPM format, and installing them on a Debian system
> is not quite as straightforward as "alien".
>
> To simplify the process, I'd like to put together a set of "installer
> packages" based on the realplayer i386 package by Joey Hess and Brian
> Russo.  Each package would use debconf to prompt the user for the
> location of the RPM, then use an included rpm2cpio to extract the files,
> install them, and modify as necessary according to Thomas Weyergraf's
> email instructions (see the debian-alpha archive, "compiling" thread
> starting 10/25/2000), including stripping the libs (so the installers
> depend on binutils).

I'd be happy to provide any assistance, if desired. I have written some scripts, that cleans up
the mess left behind, if the packages are installed on a Debian system using the rpm-deb.
I can complete them for the various packages involved - currently they only cover
the C-compiler, since that's the only one I use ;-)

On the downside, I have *NO* clue about debian packages and how to build them
The Right Way (TM), but if the installer package drops a script in /usr/sbin, like the
sendmailconfig or tzconfig and the like, I could provide it.

If you, Adam, could do the proper debian package, i'll happily cooperate. Deb's are still some
mystery to me - but then again, maybe there is something to learn for me ;-)
I also think, than even the RPM-based install could use some more intelligence, since it
makes some assumptions on how Red Hat installs it's gcc package.

Anyway, I think building such a package is a good idea, since the question on how to
install the Compaq tools seems to pop up on a regular basis here and in c.o.l.a.

Regards,
Thomas Weyergraf

--
Thomas Weyergraf                                                kirk@colinet.de
My Favorite IA64 Opcode-guess ( see arch/ia64/lib/memset.S )