Re: aboot not working on eb164

On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 03:12:20PM -0800, Geoffrey Brimhall wrote:

> > What kind of SCSI are you using that machine and what version of SRM?
> > ARC's BIOS emulator can initialise more types of cards than SRM's can,
> > especially the older versions of SRM.
>
> the scsi is an Adaptec 2940 UW pci card (supports max 40 Mbytes/sec
> thoroughput).

Bingo - there's your problem...

> the SRM is the latest one posted for eb164 on the Compaq website. Don't know
> what the date of this is.

I'd be surprised if it was newer than 2 years ago.

> My guess is the eb164 is an older system and so there just isn't going to be
> an updated SRM to support the newer hardware.

Correct.

> if '>>>show dev' does not list my scsi device, is aboot going to be able to
> see it ?

No.

Adaptec drivers were only very recently included in SRM consoles; AFAIK,
all the EV6 boxes, and the LX and SX, support (some of) the Adaptec cards.
I am not sure that any U2W cards are supported, or if so, on which.

Sorry, I think your best bet is to stick with ARC/MILO, unless you can
find another SCSI card (NCR810 would be fine, IIRC). I don't believe
IDE (for booting anyway) is an option, on EB164.

--Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            Alpha Engineering - LINUX Project
Compaq Computer Corp. - MRO1-2/K20         (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@compaq.com