From: Christopher C. Chimelis [mailto:chris@master.debian.org]On Behalf
Of Christopher C . Chimelis
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2001 2:30 PM
To: Geoffrey Brimhall
Cc: debian-alpha@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: aboot not working on eb164

On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 10:16:29AM -0800, Geoffrey Brimhall wrote:

> However, I was wanting to use aboot and SRM so that way I could play with
the
> 2.4 kernels. Ran into some problems though:
>
> First, SRM doesn't seem to see my scsi device (it only lists the floppy
> device):

> dva0.0.0.0.1    DVA0

What kind of SCSI are you using that machine and what version of SRM?
ARC's BIOS emulator can initialise more types of cards than SRM's can,
especially the older versions of SRM.

> Second, when I set up a floppy to contain aboot, the following happens:
>
> And then the system is hung at the _ symbol.
>
> Should I just continue to use milo - and is there some version that would
> work OK with a 2.4 custom built kernel ?

Aboot does work with 2.4.0 kernels (I'm using one right now,
in fact...UP2000), so that's not it.  Did you happen to compile that
kernel for an ARC/MILO-based configuration, though?  I've often seen
aboot choke because I forgot to enable the "Use SRM" question during
kernel configuration.  Also, you may want to say 'n' to the question
about using a legacy start address towards the end of 'make config'.
It really shouldn't matter, but for some reason, it did clear up one
odd and sporadic problem that I had on my SX.

I'll try to compile a kernel using eb164 as a machine type to see
specifically what your options are, but the above is what I can
think of off of the top of my head.