Re: gFTP 2.0.6a and ldconfig

David Huggins-Daines wrote:

>>> It probably needs to be recompiled with -mieee, that's all.  Try
>>> building it with:
>>>
>>> CFLAGS="-g -O2 -Wall -mieee" dpkg-buildpackage
>>
>> OK, I could do that, but if that's what it takes, why isn't
>> the package compiled that way? Is this a problem spesific to
>> my system, or has anybody else had it?
>
> Actually I was hoping you'd tell us if that fixes your problem, since
> I can't seem to reproduce it here :-)
>
> If so, we can fix the package so that it will be compiled that way on
> Alpha in general.

Works like a charm :-))

I'm sorry for such a late answer. I'm currently looking for new
employment, and it's takeing longer and more of my time then
expected.

Anyway, compiling gFTP in the suggested manner solved the problem.
However, I don't think it's a good idea to apply -mieee to all
packages, as some has suggested, if that means a performace loss.
That could give Debian a reputation as the "slow" Alpha distribution
and could ward of future Debian/Alpha users. If this is not a big
problem, as I get the impression it isn't, just leave it the way it
is and just compile indentified "trouble" packages with -mieee.

And about ldconfig; the new version worked just fine in the few
testruns I put it trough :-)

- Idar Tollefsen