Re: gFTP 2.0.6a and ldconfig

Idar Tollefsen <idar@kdc.no> writes:

> One thing I noticed is that gFTP 2.0.6a seg. faults with a floating
> point error. The same thing happened when I tried to compile gFTP
> 2.0.6a manually and then run it a while back on RH 6.0.
>
> The same gFTP version from RedHat, available in RH 6.2, does not have
> this problem.
>
> I also experinced the exact same problem with 2.0.4. If compiled
> manually, it would seg. fault with a floating point error, if installed
> from RPM from RedHat, it would work just fine.
>
> Is RH applying some kind of patch that Debian, and indeed the public
> in general, doesn't know about?

It probably needs to be recompiled with -mieee, that's all.  Try
building it with:

CFLAGS="-g -O2 -Wall -mieee" dpkg-buildpackage

> I've also seen several messages here about ldconfig. The ldconfig that
> was installed with Potato isn't doing it's job. It simply doesn't work.

Get the most recent one:

http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/binary-alpha/base/ldso_1.9.11-9.deb

If that one still doesn't work, then we have a problem.

> PS: Is there a mailing list for general questions for people new to
>     Debian (not new to Linux though)?

The `debian-user' list is good for that -
debian-user-request@lists.debian.org to subscribe.

Cheers

--
David Huggins-Daines, Senior GNU/Linux Consultant, Linuxcare, Inc.
613.562.1239 desk, 613.223.0225 mobile