gFTP 2.0.6a and ldconfig

Hello,

I just switched from RedHat to Debian (Potato). I'm haveing a little
trouble ajusting, but I'm sure I will get used to it in time.

One thing I noticed is that gFTP 2.0.6a seg. faults with a floating
point error. The same thing happened when I tried to compile gFTP
2.0.6a manually and then run it a while back on RH 6.0.

The same gFTP version from RedHat, available in RH 6.2, does not have
this problem.

I also experinced the exact same problem with 2.0.4. If compiled
manually, it would seg. fault with a floating point error, if installed
from RPM from RedHat, it would work just fine.

Is RH applying some kind of patch that Debian, and indeed the public
in general, doesn't know about?

I tried running the RH version on Debian (I've kept the old RH installation
on a seperate disk), and it worked like a charm.

I've also seen several messages here about ldconfig. The ldconfig that
was installed with Potato isn't doing it's job. It simply doesn't work.
I tried running the ldconfig I had available from RH, and it worked just
like it should. I know there is work in progress to fix this, but this
would indicate that someone has allready fixed it a long time ago for RedHat.
I've never had any problems with the ldconfigs from RH, and that includes
those shipped with RH 4.2, 5.2, 6.0 and 6.2.

My system is a 164LX with a 533MHz 21164a.

- Idar Tollefsen

PS: Is there a mailing list for general questions for people new to
    Debian (not new to Linux though)?