Re: boot problem on the AlphServer 2100

Ricardo Muggli <ricardo.muggli@mankato.msus.edu> writes:

> I am attempting to install debian potato on an AlphaServer 2100 4/275

Make sure it is a 2100 and not a 2100A, because the 2100A definitely
does not run Linux at all.

> halted CPU 0
>
> halt code = 2
> kernel stack not valid halt
> PC = 0
> boot failure
> P00>>>

Aieee!  That worries me greatly.  I have been using the tftpboot.img
succesfully to boot Miata and DS10 machines, so I don't think it's a
problem with the image itself though.

> Below is the end of the output that I get. The cursor just sits
> after the line Calibrating delay loop...
>
> Booting GENERIC on Sable using machine vector Sable from SRM
> Command line: ro root=/dev/fd0 load_ramdisk=1
> t2_init: HBASE was 0x2000
> Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
> Calibrating delay loop...

This is the same problem that Phil Hands was having on his 2100.  This
may need some looking in to, if indeed neither of these machines is a
2100A.

I've Cc:'ed Jay Estabrook at Compaq in the hope that he might know
something about this - Jay, the kernel in question is a generic
2.2.15pre20.  I can send you the .config if you like.

> Where do I find out more information of which of the MILO binaries to
> use. I found the chart that listed the AS 2100 as a sable, but there
> is no sable MILO binary in the MILO directory on ftp.

As far as I know there never was a MILO for Sable.

--
David Huggins-Daines, Senior GNU/Linux Consultant, Linuxcare, Inc.
613.562.1239 desk, 613.223.0225 mobile