Boot problem on a Deskstation Raptor III - please help.

Hi all.

I asked for help a while ago with getting Linux running on this machine, but
it didn't really lead anywhere.

This is what I know about it (taken from an ad somewhere - my box only has
64MB ram and a 300MHz CPU and a different NIC (3c509)and GFX-adapter. The
company who built it, Deskstation, are no longer in business) :

Deskstation Raptor3

"Includes:
Full Tower Case
Alpha 21164
UniFlex Motherboard
4 PCI / 3 ISA slots
Dual SCSI II ports
2 serial / 1 parallel ports
1.44 Floppy Drive
101 Keyboard
Microsoft Mouse
128MB RAM / 2MB SRAM Cache
2GB SCSI II Hard Drive
Diamond Stealth Video Card 4MB VRAM
Cogent PCI Ethernet Card 10/100 AutoSense
Hitachi Accuvue UX-4787 21" 1600x1280 Monitor
NEC 8x SCSI CD-ROM
Windows NT Workstation

Price with CPU Card:

Alpha 21164 366MHz    $ 9,796.25
Alpha 21164 433MHz    $ 10,449.38
Alpha 21164 500MHz    $ 12,165.00

Raptor 3

At DeskStation Technology, we design every Raptor 3 to be the ultimate
Windows NT workstation.

But because everyone's needs are different, we also custom design various
configurations of Raptor 3.
This way, you can select the Raptor 3 with the CPU module that delivers the
price/performance you're looking for.

And whether you go with the price-savvy MIPS R4600 version or the top of the
line Alpha 21164 model,
you're not locked in. Upgrade at anytime simply by inserting a new CPU
module. Every Raptor 3 is
designed with that flexibility in mind, not to mention the specific demands
of graphics, multimedia,
3D rendering, animation/video and CAD/CAM. "

As you can see, it's built for running NT.  I've tried to load milo
according to the instructions written in
http://www.alphalinux.org/faq/milo-5.html#ss5.1 , but the machine reads
linload.exe once, and then returns to the start-up screen again.  When I try
to load linload.exe again, it immediatly returns to the boot screen without
even trying.  I've tried to run linload.exe from a boot floppy as well as
the first 10MB partition on the harddrive, but it doesn't work.

I just thought I should give this box one more try before selling it or just
getting rid of it - it takes up quite a lot of space here at home and
there's no point putting it in my serverroom at work if it doesn't run
Linux... :-)

If any one knows anything or has any idea of what I can try to get this
thing to boot Linux - then please let me know!

Regards,

Joacim

Joacim Melin

Mobile : +46-70-7353803
e-mail : joacim@melin.pp.se
Website, swedish : http://www.melin.pp.se
Website, english : http://z80.org

"engineers never lie; we just approximate the truth."