Re: "No init found" during boot/install

scr (whoknows@onlinehome.de) wrote:

> The reason I tried that is that root.bin is of size
> 1,324,727 Bytes, which is not an integer multiple of
> block sizes usually used in dd writes. I expected
> floppy images to be of size 1440k (and I was wrong).

The image doesn't have to fill the entire disk AFAIK. In fact I built
some disks a month ago and they were only 1220K (they were for a
firewall).

> You are right. Must have been a bad floppy, sorry.
> I started with two different floppies, to which I
> wrote root.bin using dd. I couldn't boot from either
> because I forgot the load_ramdisk=1 kernel option.
>
> Then I reformatted one of these disks to FAT, leaving
> me a single (supposedly bad) ram disk created with dd.
> I now tried a third floppy (again using dd together
> with load_ramdisk=1) and it now works!

Great!

> Three disks? Well, I just bootet from two (not needing
> a Milo floppy). A rescue (or root) disk and a boot (or ram-)
> disk. I don't think I am missing something, am I?

Yeah, there should have been three disks:

boot: has milo and linload.exe
root: has the kernel
ramdisk: self explanatory

Did you perhaps use a kernel image off a CD and therefor removing the
need for the root disk? Otherwise I don't see how you could have even
got the kernel to load as ARC doesn't know how to load it on it's own.

> Thanks again, Ron. You saved my Sunday evening.

You are welcome, glad I could help!

Ron