Re: "No init found" during boot/install

scr (whoknows@onlinehome.de) wrote:

> I created both floppies under RH 5.1 on the same machine
> on which I'm trying to install potato.
>
> The FAT formatted floppy:
> mkfs -t msdos /dev/fd0
> mcopy root.bin a:
>
> Results in (using load_ramdisk=1 at Milo prompt)
> RAMDISK: Couldn't find valid RAM disk image starting at 0

That won't work, you can't "copy" the images to disk. You have to use dd
on a UNIX/Linux system or rawrite on a (yuck) DOS system.

> The unformatted floppy:
> dd if=root.bin of=/dev/fd0 bs=1024 conv=sync; sync
>
> Results in (again, using load_ramdisk=1)
> ufs_read_super: bad magic number

Hmm, that should have worked. I'd suspect bad floppies or bad images.
Where did you get the images from?

I'd suggest trying different set of disks. I have had (and still do) a
lot of problems with floppys. They work ok for storing data, but fail
when used for holding kernel/boot images.

> So should I give tar a try? Or ext2fs, minix, ...
> formatted floppies?

I'd try a brand new set of disks first. Then let me know if it works or
not.

You should have 3 disks. One boot, one root, and a ramdisk. I don't ever
remember having to format them prior to using dd, but I guess it
wouldn't hurt trying.

Ron