Re: "No init found" during boot/install

Ron Farrer schrieb:

> scr (whoknows@onlinehome.de) wrote:
>
> > The FAT formatted floppy:
> > mkfs -t msdos /dev/fd0
> > mcopy root.bin a:
>
> That won't work, you can't "copy" the images to disk. You have to use dd
> on a UNIX/Linux system or rawrite on a (yuck) DOS system.

The reason I tried that is that root.bin is of size
1,324,727 Bytes, which is not an integer multiple of
block sizes usually used in dd writes. I expected
floppy images to be of size 1440k (and I was wrong).

> > The unformatted floppy:
> > dd if=root.bin of=/dev/fd0 bs=1024 conv=sync; sync
>
> Hmm, that should have worked. I'd suspect bad floppies or bad images.

You are right. Must have been a bad floppy, sorry.
I started with two different floppies, to which I
wrote root.bin using dd. I couldn't boot from either
because I forgot the load_ramdisk=1 kernel option.

Then I reformatted one of these disks to FAT, leaving
me a single (supposedly bad) ram disk created with dd.
I now tried a third floppy (again using dd together
with load_ramdisk=1) and it now works!

> You should have 3 disks. One boot, one root, and a ramdisk. I don't ever
> remember having to format them prior to using dd, but I guess it
> wouldn't hurt trying.

Three disks? Well, I just bootet from two (not needing
a Milo floppy). A rescue (or root) disk and a boot (or ram-)
disk. I don't think I am missing something, am I?

Thanks again, Ron. You saved my Sunday evening.

Stefan Schroepfer