Re: Dekstation Raptor Reflex

On Thu 14 Sep 2000, Jean-Paul Blaquiere wrote:

> besides, computers don't die, they just stop processing.

I beg to differ, I once witnessed a motherboard commit suicide.
The NiCad cell had leaked and corroded the conductors within the
multilayer PCB. It finally shorted out the powerlines _within_
the layers of the PCB, which was some spectacular fireworks.
Yes, I happened to see it (my case is never closed, and the
speakers started making lots of noise so I ran to see what the
matter was). That was the end of my 386.

> We have a 4th room (master bedroom actually) where all the 'unused' computers
> are being stored.  as well as workbenches for hacking and slashing those ones
> that are feeling unhealthy.

I have a spare bathroom that is slowly filling up (my "computer room"
ran out of space, both horizontal and vertical, as did the spare
bedroom).

Paul Slootman