detecting SCSI tape drive

I have an Alpha DS10 with Debian (frozen) installed and am having a
problem with the scsi tape drive. Booting from the rescue disk with
root=/dev/sda2 works fine. I can read and write to the tape. But if I boot
from the hard disk, the kernel loads, detects the hard drive and then
hangs at the point where it otherwise detects the tape drive. It doesn't
matter what kernel: the kernel from the install disk, 2.2.12, 2.2.14
compiled from source all do the same thing. I read through the kernel docs
about it and tried passing parameters to the st driver via the -flags
option, but no change. Also didn't find anything on debian.org.

Does anyone have any ideas about this issue? The controller is a Qlogic
ISP1020 PCI, and the tape drive is a DEC TLZ09.

TIA,

Ernest Johanson
Web Systems Administrator
Fuller Theological Seminary