Re: detecting SCSI tape drive

On Wed 26 Jan 2000, Ernest Johanson wrote:

> I have an Alpha DS10 with Debian (frozen) installed and am having a
> problem with the scsi tape drive. Booting from the rescue disk with
> root=/dev/sda2 works fine. I can read and write to the tape. But if I boot
> from the hard disk, the kernel loads, detects the hard drive and then
> hangs at the point where it otherwise detects the tape drive. It doesn't

Do you have st as a module, or compiled into the kernel?

> matter what kernel: the kernel from the install disk, 2.2.12, 2.2.14
> compiled from source all do the same thing. I read through the kernel docs
> about it and tried passing parameters to the st driver via the -flags
> option, but no change. Also didn't find anything on debian.org.

I guess it's not much help, but I've never had any problems whatsoever
with my Tandberg 3820 (QIC525; I think the unit is called SLR2
nowadays). It's on the onboard symbios 810 controllers in my XLT.

If you use the module, take st out of /etc/modules, and try loading it
at a later stage (I have it auto-loading). Maybe with/without a tape
present makes a difference? Is the tape drive external? Is all
termination as it should be? I.e. all the usual SCSI questions; SCSI
support on alpha's is nothing special (It Just Works), so don't
concentrate on the fact this happens to be an alpha. Sometimes that can
be the cause of the problem, here I very much doubt it...

Paul Slootman
--
home:       paul@wurtel.demon.nl http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/
work:       paul@murphy.nl       http://www.murphy.nl/