Re: the broken upgrade I had

   Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 00:13:15 +0800
   From: Jean-Paul Blaquiere <japester@ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au>

   after having a deeper look into things....
   I believe the problem lies in the transfer from perl-5.004 to perl-5.005
   and this is not happening smoothly.  At the moment perl-5.004 is installed and
   it does not contain some of the routines (eg Dumper.pm) that debconf requires.
   I'll try and sort out a full list of everything perl based in slink that was
   installed and what differences there are from potato.

FWIW, I had a hell of a time going slink->potato 3 weeks ago on x86, 80% of which
was perl-5.004->perl-5.005.  After endless --fix-broken and --force-yes, I finally
got it to work.  It is possible to do potato with the older debconf (I did), there
were tons of warnings about it but it runs.

Just thought I'd let you know that it's not absolutly an Alpha problem.

pjr