Re: Slink kernel compilation

I have fwd'd this to the list... if anyone would like to proof read and maybe
upload it to alphalinux.org/include it in FAQs then please do so.
or make me write it out again neater and send it to whoever maintains the
install documents ?

as one of the other guys mentioned, go for a 2.2.x kernel.  The more recent
ones 2.2.13 has been noted to be comparatively stable.

format your drives BSD style.  this can be done off the boot floppies.
boot off the floppies, fdisk, select bsd options ..... and leave ~2-4 MB at
the beginning of the drive.  This is where aboot and a kernel if you like can
go.
reboot to resync the partition table.
format the partitions, install linux as per normal.
once you have an install done, do kernel compile.

grab the kernel source off any kernel source mirror and extract.
there are no specific patches that you need apply.
type make config.
there is a question asking what sort of machine you have.  Read the
documentation or ask on the mailing list again, as I don't know what specific
variant the PC-64 is.
Include the various bits that you want in the kernel .....
specify boot from SRM (fairly early in the list of questions)
and also BSD disk label support (one of the last few questions)
you don't need SUN labels, or any of the other BSD variant stuff.

when the config has finished.  type "make boot"
not zimage or zlilo etc.
the kernel will compile and appear in ./linux/arch/alpha/boot/vmlinux.gz
it's listed in the kernel compile messages too.
copy that to / on your boot partition.

aboot does not come on the boot floppies, so we now get to install that.

type "sriteboot /dev/sdx /boot/bootlx /vmlinux.gz

where 'x' is the disk you want to boot off.

and then "abootconf /dev/sdx y

where 'x' is the boot drive and y the root partition.
specifically because it holds /etc/aboot.conf

to edit this file, make it look something like :

/etc/aboot.conf
#
#
0:4/vmlinux-2.2.14 ro root=/dev/sda4
1:4/vmlinux-2.2.14 ro root=/dev/sda4 SINGLE
-

the numbers at the beginning of each line must be uniqe.  They are what you
use as the boot flags on the console. eg ">>>boot dka0 -fl 2"
referring to line 2 in /etc/aboot.conf
the second number is the partition containing the kernel image.
the rest is fairly explanatory I think.

i don't know if there is a limit to the number of images you can specify in
the config file.

also, if you pass i as a  boot flag you can boot interactively with aboot.
if you type 'h' at the aboot prompt, it will give you brief help and also list
the /etc/aboot.conf file.

I take it you know how to update the firmware to SRM being a DU person?
i *believe* that there are FAQs on this somewhere if not. I have only ever
done the updates from the firmware CD which is really easy :)

I hope this helps somewhat and if you have any more questions, don't hesitate
to ask.

regards,
--
Jean-Paul Blaquiere