Slink kernel compilation

Hi,

I'm a new Debian-Alpha user (but an old Debian-i386
and DU4.0 user) and have a couple questions...

1.  I'm having trouble compiling a new kernel.

2.  Because of (1), I can't use SRM as my default
     boot loader (currently using ARC to bootstrap
     MILO).

1.  I've searched the Alpha-specific Debian
documentation and cannot seem to find detailed
instructions on how to build a new 2.0.36 kernel on my
PC64-275 (I've done this many times on my ix86
machine).  The docs at alphalinux.org seem RH-specific
and quite old, and the kernel-compilation instructions
in the Debian-FAQ do not seem to address any
Alpha-specific issues.

Anyhow, the procedure dies at 'make config' (sorry,
didn't notate the specific error messages).

Presumably, I should just edit the top-level Makefile
and change the 'arch =' to 'arch = alpha' -
apparently, this is not the only thing to be done ;-)

What else must be done to the kernel tree and
Makefiles to build the kernel?  Are there Debian/Alpha
Slink-specific patches available?

2.  Because of (1), I cannot build a kernel with BSK
disklabel and SRM boot support; I'm not familiar with
ARC/AlphaBIOS and would rather use SRM to boot the
PC64-275.  The generic kernel in Slink doesn't seem to
have either.  Is this not recommended for the PC64-275
and/or Debian-Alpha distribution?

Sorry for the newbie-ish questions - any constructive
response would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Rob Parnell