Less trouble installing Potato vs Slink?

My continuing troubles installing Slink on my Dec AlphaServer 1000 4/266
make me ask the question:
Would Potato be easier than Slink to install (i.e., would dbootstrap work)?
Or is my machine just one of the oddball versions that will never quite
match any Debian Alpha installation?  I can see from this list that most
Alpha users seem to be heavy-duty programmer/hacker types - if that's what
it takes to get a Debian Alpha system up & running then I'm out of luck (at
least for a while).  I never had the kinds of problems I've encountered on
the Alpha with my Intel Debian installs.