Re: apt-get upgrade dies badly ...

* Andrew D Lenharth (adl@cs.washington.edu) [991028 23:00]:
> I have had the same problem on a multia (noname).
> ls was giving the same problem (Illegal instruction), but that has gone
> away.

Do you remember what you did to make it go away ?

I don't want to reboot the box as long as I don't know that it will come up
again, since it is also the endpoint of my leased line. (Yeah I know
running unstable on such a box is stupid, but well :-)

THis morning I simply put the broken libc6.1 on hold and tried an update again.
Before the update of the libc6.1 would fail with segfaults.
Here first the update of ldso fails with an Illegal instruction, then
installs correctly as it seems.

Mike

alpha:~# dselect
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Merging Available information
Replacing available packages info, using /var/cache/apt/available.

Information about 3785 package(s) was updated.
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  amaya ddd lesstifg xacc xmaddressbook
  lesstif1
The following held packages will be changed:
  libc6.1
59 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 5 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
4 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/21.0MB of archives. After unpacking 25.6MB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
98% [Working]
100% [Scanning packages]
Configuring packages ...
(Reading database ... 37971 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace ldso 1.9.11-4 (using .../base/ldso_1.9.11-5.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement ldso ...
Setting up ldso (1.9.11-5) ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/ldso.postinst: line 38: 21828 Illegal instruction     ldconfig
dpkg: error processing ldso (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 132
 ldso
E: Sub-process returned an error code (1)
Some errors occurred while unpacking. I'm going to configure the
packages that were installed. This may result in duplicate errors
or errors caused by missing dependencies. This is OK, only the errors
above this message are important. Please fix them and run [I]nstall again
Press enter to continue.

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of gconv-modules:
 gconv-modules depends on libc6.1 (= 2.1.2-6); however:
  Package libc6.1 is not installed.
dpkg: error processing gconv-modules (--configure):
Setting up ldso (1.9.11-5) ...

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libc6.1-dev:
 libc6.1-dev depends on libc6.1 (= 2.1.2-6); however:
  Package libc6.1 is not installed.
dpkg: error processing libc6.1-dev (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libpam0g-dbg:
 libpam0g-dbg depends on libpam0g (= 0.70-3); however:
  Version of libpam0g on system is 0.70-2.
 libpam0g-dbg depends on libpam0g-dev (= 0.70-3); however:
  Version of libpam0g-dev on system is 0.70-2.
dpkg: error processing libpam0g-dbg (--configure):
 gconv-modules
 libc6.1-dev
 libpam0g-dbg

installation script returned error exit status 100.
Press RETURN to continue.

Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  amaya ddd lesstifg xacc xmaddressbook
  lesstif1
The following held packages will be changed:
  libc6.1
58 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 5 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
4 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/20.8MB of archives. After unpacking 25.6MB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
98% [Working]
100% [Scanning packages]
Configuring packages ...
Selecting previously deselected package libc6.1.
(Reading database ... 37971 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace libc6.1 2.1.2-5.0.1 (using .../base/libc6.1_2.1.2-6.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libc6.1 ...
dpkg: warning - old post-removal script killed by signal (Segmentation fault)
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
dpkg: error processing /home/ftp/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-alpha/base/libc6.1_2.1.2-6.deb (--unpack):
 subprocess new post-removal script killed by signal (Segmentation fault)
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess pre-installation script killed by signal (Segmentation fault)