Re: 2.2.x corruption solved (Was Re: Statically linked 'tar')

On Mon, Oct 11, 1999 at 06:00:19PM -0400, Christopher C Chimelis wrote:

> Argh...what a story :-)  Do we have ANY decent disk partitioning software
> out there that works well with bsd disklabels?  If so, maybe we can
> collectively rewrite/adapt whatever it is to fit within fdisk's UI.  It's
> a bit off-topic on this list, but given how many people here need BSD
> disklabel support, it's worth at least starting to talk about here.

I don't know what's out there and supports BSD disklabels. The alternatives
that immediately come to mind are:

a) Try and port 'disklabel' from *BSD and make the boot disks handle using
   'fdisk' or 'disklabel'.

b) Write something completely new, which would use a consistent interface but
   support different low-level partitioning schemes in a plug in manner.

Maybe doing both of these would be good since if linux had a proper disklabel
command that would certainly please some people. The tricky part is that from
experience I recall that partition/disklabel layouts tend to be horrendously
documented and fraught with all kinds of hardware/geometry incompatibilities.

mato