Re: kernel sources for alpha? (Re: Not detecting SCSI drive)

On Tue 14 Sep 1999, Phil Oleson wrote:

> > Also, I want to try recompiling a kernel for this beast, so I got
> > kernel-source-2.0.36 off the CD.  Under system type, it lets me
> > choose between the usual 386, 486, Pentium, etc.  No alpha
> > listed.  I know on Red Hat the sources are patched and I can even
> > select LX164.  What do I do on Debian?  No alpha-patched sources?
>
> Just grab a 2.2 kernel from ftp.kernel.org (or a local mirror)
> the 2.0 kernels needed a patch set for the alpha.  Different people

Hmm, I never patched my 2.0.36 kernel sources when compiling for my
XLT (apart from the line in the Makefile which defines the architecture,
i.e. ARCH=alpha), and that kernel worked just fine. Perhaps it has to do
with which type of alpha system you have? E.g. 2.2.11 didn't work for me
with a symbios 53c810a, while the problem was fixed in 2.2.11 for other
alpha's...

> on the list have had diff opinions on which rev of the 2.2 works the
> best. I've had decent luck on my cabriolet on most of the revsions,
> and am currently running 2.2.12 just fine.  Have Fun.

I haven't heard anyone complain about 2.2.12? Which is what I'm using
myself right now...

Paul Slootman
--
home:       paul@wurtel.demon.nl http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/