Re: mispackaged packages..

Christopher C Chimelis <chris@classnet.med.miami.edu> writes:

> Pick up a 2.2 kernel (try 2.2.11...works nice on an SX -- I just booted
> 2.2.12 today and it seems to be nice as well).  There were some funky time
> problems with earlier kernels on the SX.

The problem was with 2.2.7. I hadn't realized that there's a system
option in make menuconfig and had compiled it for generic alpha. I
think it's working well now; also I've grabbed the clock binary from
gatekeeper because the debian-supplied hwclock doesn't work.

> In either case, let me know what you find if you decide to play with it a
> bit.  I'd be happy to spin a new upload if it needs it and can get a
> working patch.  Without the hardware to test it here, I'm hesitant to even
> look at it.

As I said, I'm a bit loaded in the moment, but otoh I can sleep better
when I have fresh backups. let's see...

> Hehehehe...yeah, it's kind of ugly getting these things up.  To make it
> worse, there's SOOOOO many different types of Alphas that no one
> HOWTO seems to cover it.  I currently know two methods (ARC and
> AlphaBIOS), but SRM is foreign to me (and I've been on Alpha for years
> now).  Regarding the booting off of the hard drive, it can be a pain with
> the SX's.  They seem to not be able to recognise any drives that are
> hooked up to my Tekram SCSI board, so I had to add a small IDE drive to
> run MILO from.

No, that's not my problem. The NCR-based controller is recognized just
fine; the BIOS has trouble reading floppies and thus I cannot upgrade.
Milo can only see secondary partitions and the BIOS, MILO and the
kernel all have different ideas about the numbering of partitions.
Once I had figured out to make a dos partition for booting, I had
success installing milo there (the install process didn't mention this
detail to my knowledge because the drive was already partitioned from
the previous i386 installation). Still, milo can show the contents of
that partition with ls, but when trying to boot from there, it
complains about invalid gzip format. The very same kernel image boots
fine from the second drive. The difference between the two drives is,
that the first one got partitioned by cfdisk during install (I
selected that from the install menu; else the install had used the
partitions which were already there) and the second drive is
partitioned with fdisk under i386. Milo also was successful booting
from a ZIP connected to the same controller and formatted with the
BIOS' format utility.

> We plan on working on docs a bit more.  Unfortunately, most of us are
> better programmers (and workaholics) than we are at documenting things
> <g>.  I'll note the suggestions, though, and see if we can improve things
> for the people who are totally new to Alpha.  To be fair, the main Debian
> install doc is REALLY lacking as far as good installation instructions.
> The README that Loic generated with the boot disks is far better and
> probably should be more prominant on the CDs.

Just because my memory is still fresh:

 o  the hint that one must ignore the BIOS' warning about invalid boot
    options should be repeated or made more prominent, imho. I simply
    overlooked it and then spent almost a full day searching for newer
    BIOS images and trying to install one which lets me boot the way I
    thought to be correct.
 o  there might be a hint to ignore the kernel's request for a
    ram-disk image on floppy when installing from CD. When I had
    created the floppies (I had made two sets before disassembling my
    old machine) and booted the machine, it kept asking for a floppy
    but as long as I gave it floppies it always crashed.

> > Hm, I was more looking for something like "unpack the source with
> > dpkg-source, then do/don't edit the files in place..." or maybe give some
> > special switches to one of the dpkg tools to get a binary with debug
> > information in it and the like. Well, I'll look into the dpkg
> > documentation as time permits.

> Oh, sorry :-)  Best way is to unpack it with dpkg-source, edit
> debian/rules and remove any reference to strip.  That will keep all of the

[man strip...] Yup, that was the one I was missing. Thanks for the
hint (and of course for all the work you put into this system).

kind REgards,
--
Eberhard Burr    check http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~Eberhard.Burr/publickey.asc
                 for PGP Key -- #include <stddisc.h> -- electric cookie follows