Re: Fakeroot

On Tue, Apr 06, 1999 at 04:49:58PM +0800, Mikolaj J. Habryn wrote:

>     BW> I had one hickup last evening. When copying cp -a dir1 dir2
>     BW> you get a: copying with rights preserved dir1/link.txt
>     BW> dir2/link.txt folowed by a permission denied (for memory).
>
>   Kernel version? cp -a is one of the victims of lchown/chown
> confusion...

But maybe, because fakeroot stat's every file, you can use the lchown call to
change permissions. This to reduces the use of kernel hackery... :)

This has to be resolved anyhow, otherwise packaging breaks on machines where
users have no acces to other tools to circonvent this problem (su -c '..'
before the line in debian/rules eg)

B.