Can't chown: permission denied during mongrel install UDB

My UDB miata has been running as a backup server for some time with
redhat.  When one of the hard drives finally gave out yesterday I
figured I might as well convert to debian.

1) milo booted fine on resc144 but "Not enough memory to ..."
or some such.  It's low end, yes, with 24MB.  Is that enough?

2) So I took the new SCSI and put it on an i86 box, created the
file system, untarred base2_1 and modified fstab, uninstalled.sh,
and a few other files.  Plugged it back into the miata and booted
it up with my old redhat milo and kernel 2.1.54.

Config like this:
/dev/sda2 /boot  (has 2.1.54 kernel)
/dev/sdb1 /      (the new file system base2_1 on new SCSI)
/dev/sda4 unmounted, but has the old filesystem

It comes up and works with networking if I boot single.  It passes
fsck.

In single user mode I'm unable to chown a file.  For example
apt-get dies with:
<sc 208(1202edb0,0,0)>tar: Cannot chown to uid 0 gid 0: Operation not permitted

Operation not permitted if I just try to chown a file from
command line.

In multi user mode I can't log in; unable to change /dev/tty{?}.

The / is rw; I can modify files and save them. The few permissions
I checked in /dev seem to match my i86 machines.  (MAKEDEV won't
because of the chown thing.)

Question is:
Can anyone tell me what is happening here?  I've got a read write
disk but can't chown and can't "change /dev/tty". There is no dev/pts
but 2.1.54 doesn't know about them...hmmmm... maybe login **needs**
them now?  Is this a kernel issue ( 2.1.54 was an "early glibc"
kernel)?  Is it a disk issue with my setting it up on i86
(is e2fs e2fs everywhere)?

Is it an over-optimistic installation prcess ;^) ?

cfm

--

Christopher F. Miller, Publisher                             cfm@maine.com
MaineStreet Communications, Inc         208 Portland Road, Gray, ME  04039