Re: Fakeroot

On Sun, 4 Apr 1999, Bart Warmerdam wrote:

>   I will upload a new fakeroot in a few minutes. This version *requires* a new
>   tar and gzip linked with 2.1. Without these fakeroot refuses to build.
>   (and they are also necessary to get pipe-results from ldd /bin/tar eg).

Thanks, Bart, for doing this.  I've been tied up, but realised that
fakeroot's main packaging problem involved patching tar about a week ago,
but have been unable to free enough time in RL to fix it :-(

FYI, to those uninformed of the problem, fakeroot does a test of it's
functionality using tar to create a tarball of a dir structure that it
extracts, then compares the two.  If tar is buggy (which it is...last I
checked, it had some uid/gid problems), then the tests fail and the
packaging of fakeroot fails as well.