Re: Need Advice from avanti useres (Re: problem: install as/200 (avanti) & new install disks)

Loic,

On Sun, Mar 07, 1999 at 10:35:49PM +0100, Loic Prylli wrote:

> Maybe the most  stable solution to try is:
> - use SRM (avoid dealing with potentially problematic versions of
> MILO)

What problematic versions of MILO? I haven't had any problems with MILO run
from SRM at all. I'm currently using my own version of MILO which is actually
cetus' MILO from 19990302 compiled against 2.0.35 with some of my patched to
the TGA driver in it.

> - use a 2.0 kernel compiled for SRM (without MILO), I just put one for
> your convenience  on http://lhpca.univ-lyon1.fr/axp/debian.html a new
> avanti-s set for this matter, it is SRM only.

I advise against the above, my experience is that I could not get either a 2.0
or 2.1/2.2 kernel to boot using SRM/aboot. I would like to know if someone is
using this successfuly.

Also, 2.2 compiled for SRM will just hang on my Avanti box (see related posts
on this list previously).

> Now for the list, I _really_ need feedback, I now there are people
> using avanti: can you try if the latest rescue disk allow to boot the
> kernel for you? (try first avanti,  and if it does not work and you
> are under SRM, try avanti-s). And if something does not work for you
> and you have something that works better, _tell_ what to put in the
> release, the quicker the answer, the better.

I'll check it out at home this evening and let you know.

Martin