Re: problem: install as/200 (avanti) & new install disks

Jamie L. Raymond writes:

 > Loic Prylli <Loic.Prylli@ens-lyon.fr> writes:
 >
 > > If you are starting from SRM, another possibility on which I would be
 > > glad to have some feedback is to use the generic/resc1440.bin disk
 > > instead of the "avanti", and to boot directly from SRM without going
 >
 > This kernel boots ok and asks for the RAMdisk. It then freezes up
 > saying "Warning: unable to open initial console."
 >
 > My AS/200 is headless and doesn't have a keyboard attached. I'm
 > working over the serial port. Is there some option I need to enable to
 > make it work? I could attach a keyboard if necessary but can't attach
 > a monitor currently.

Ok, I now understand I read too fast your first message, it is
actually milo that is failing and not the kernel as I tought.  That's
a point worth to know that MILO is not reliable on avanti when loaded
from SRM.

Anyway back to the generic kernel (that seems to work), serial console
installation will not really be supported for the slink release, but
 you can do it anyway by doing the following things:

>>>boot dva0 -fl i
aboot>linux load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=1 console=ttyS0 console=/dev/ttyS0 CONSOLE=/dev/ttyS0

You need to type twice console=... (and a third CONSOLE=...) exactly
as in the command above,
this is due to some strange code in the installation programs.
When rebooting after installation you do not need the second console=
anymore.

You also need to use a rootserial.bin instead of the default
root1440.bin (the only difference is the /dev/console file in these
two images). I have just added it to:
http://lhpca.univ-lyon1.fr/axp/debian.html

During installation, when choosing executing a shell (for instance to
partition with fdisk), I thing there is a small bug you need to type
"exec 2>&1" to see the messages that are output to stderr.

Regards,

Loic