Alphastation 200 refuses to load ramdisk Please Help.

I recently aquired a DEC Alphastation 200 4/233 and have spent the last 4
days trying to get debian (or Redhat) to load with limited success. The
"rescue disk" loads OK but as soon as I load the ramdisk/rootdisk the whole
process comes to a screaching halt. Everything seems to load OK then I get
"init: memory violation at pc=c39ffe2c rp=15555684540 (bad address =
c39ffe2c)". This message keeps scrolling over the screen till I reboot
(CTL-ALT-DEL also works here telling me that linux has control of the
system).

Ive come to the end of my rope. Ive read 8 months of the alpha mailing list
archive, thried all suggestions I could find on installing, tried redhat
(5.1 and 5.2) tried 3-4 different combinations and releases of boot disks
(including avanti, XL, and XLT) to no avail. About the only strange thing
Ive added here is a "generic" video card (ISA) but I also tried my S3 PCI
(Acer) card and get the same thing.

Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions? I hate to see this machine
become an expensive doorstop ;-).

Cheers,
Todd