Re: Hows Alphadebian doing?

On Fri, Jan 01, 1999 at 04:43:56PM +0100, Gerhard Poul wrote:
[snip]
>> Alpha port is currently frozen and is planned to be released with Slink
>> (Debian 2.1). Therefore there are no official cd's available yet. The same
>> applies to installation.
>
> That's one of the things I don't like... Because only to say "this port is
> not currently released" isn't really okay for most users...

But that's the same for the i386 users that want to run Slink at *this*
moment. The next release there will be an Alpha port available, the same way
new users now install hamm from cd and slink other ways (gold). The official
images for a distribution are only available after the freeze (or a new
release e.g. r1).

> I think it would be better to place the comments users send to a page or
> file everyone can look at and to tell the user that this would be done in
> the future... not just "it's not currently released"... I think everyone
> noticed this because otherwise he wouldn't write these things to the mailing
> list...

There is currently a port page http://www.debian.org/ports/alpha/index.html
I guess this is not exactly what you are referring to.

On these pages you can find information on the Alpha port. There are also 2
mailing-list that send the differences between i386 and alpha to their
subscribers. That way you know what packages are out-of-sync.

> And if we do that we also give the users the feeling that it was a good
> decision to use alpha and not to buy an i386 and to use it
> out-of-the-box with linux without any problems...
>
> I think it's really good that I wrote this mail because now I know that
> there are some people out there who work on the debian-alpha and that it's
> not a dead project... But I haven't seen any new things on the alpha-port
> page and nothing on this mailing list... And so I (and maybe also some
> others) thought that this would be dead... :(((

If I recall correctly, a maintainer (Chris) also updates the port pages. He
recently added new information. I'm guilty of not reading this page often, so
don't blame me if I'm wrong :)

I share your concern here though. If users are not convinced the Alpha port is
alive and kicking, the work we all put into it, is in vain. But that's
certainly not the case here!

Thanks for your intrest!

B.

--
B. Warmerdam                                              GNU/Debian Linux
bartw@xs4all.nl, bartw@debian.org (Keyid: 10A0FDD1)       ----------------