libapache-mod-perl needs to be updated

I'd like to upload a fixed libapache-mod-perl that depends on Apache
1.3.3.  The version currently in frozen and unstable depends on 1.3.2,
which is not available.  This problem has been around for months, and
has caused me to keep my Apache packages on hold.

How should I upload the replacement?  Should I version it 1.16-2.1?
Is it necessary to upload diffs?  If I upload diffs, won't that trigger
useless rebuilds on other architectures and piss off the upstream
maintainer of libapache-mod-perl?

Guidance is appreciated.  ;)

Regards,

Jeff