Re: MILO?

On Sun, Dec 13, 1998 at 09:32:49PM +0000, Nikita Schmidt wrote:

> On Sunday, 13 Dec, John Goerzen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I saw a message on here lately about a new MILO.  However, there's no milo
> > package in Debian for Alpha.  Why's that?
>
> Lack of time, I believe.  Besides, having MILO as a package is not
> really important: it's on the installation disks and should be installed
> during initial system setup.  Though a package would be nice.  I think
> I'll do it eventually, when I just have time to.

We ought to have a milo package for the same reasons that i386 has a lilo
package and sparc has a silo package.  Having a milo package facilitates
updates; it's much better than having to point people to some various site
and say "good luck'.  It also allows us to package up milo documentation
along with the system, to provide a way for people that for whatever reason
do not have an existing milo running to install it, etc.

> There are two new MILOs: one on gatekeeper.dec.com under
> /pub/DEC/Linux-Alpha/Kernels, the other one at
> ftp://genie.ucd.ie/pub/alpha/milo.  In my opinion, the latter is better
> (more features, less bugs) and in some sense "newer", but that's only
> because I haven't got enough complaints.  Most people, having tried MILO
> from genie and failed, seem to silently revert to gatekeeper.

Thanks for the info; I'll try it out.

-- John

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@complete.org |