MILO hangs on startup

I'm reinstalling debian to document the difficulties I've experienced.
However, I've reached a point where, it seems, I can't go on.
Background:
DEC Personal Workstation 500a (500MHz 21164, 256MB ram, 2MB cache,
'miata')
I installed debian on the machine last week, and because I've
experienced some weird instabilities, decided to reinstall it from
scratch and take detailed notes:

1. When asked to insert the driver diskette during "Install kernel and
modules", I get "Bad superblock" type errors, but, oddly enough, it
seems to work. (drv1440.bin for 'miata', created disk with rawrite2)
This may or may not be related to anything; I just thought I'd mention
it.
2. Upon reboot after base installation is complete, the MILO countdown
ticks away, reaching zero, and hangs the machine with these messages:
kernel: unaligned trap at: fffffc0000d6edec : ffe8aa6cffe8aa6c 29 0
kernel: unaligned trap at: fffffc000031c430 : 1111222233334454 29 1
(this line repeats 3 times)
3. I hit 'reset', and use the AlphaBIOS entry from the previous
installation to boot the machine from sda.
[time passes]
All the packages from the 'basic' installation set have been downloaded,
and I'm rebooting.
MILO countdown again, gets to zero, and the machine just hangs.  Hitting
'reset' again.

Anyone have any clues on how to fix this problem on startup, for
starters?

--
James S. Carlson   --   james.carlson@mandelcompany.com   --
414-271-6970 x510