Re: Comments on installation (boot-floppies 981115, mirror 981120)

On Tue 01 Dec 1998, Brederlow wrote:
> Paul Slootman <paul@wau.mis.ah.nl> writes:
>
> > I burnt a cdrom of sid as of 981120, with the boot-floppies of 981115 on
> > it. I only now had a chance to try it out (on my udb / multia). Here are
> > a couple of comments:
> > - Mounting the ramdisk (loaded from the root1440.bin) gave a message
> >   about "too long since last check, e2fsck recommended". Not a problem,
> >   but very strange for a ramdisk :-)  Maybe that fs should be modified
> >   with "tune2fs -i 0"...
>
> Not strange at all. The ramdisk was last checked around
> 1998. Currently (after booting :) we have 2018. I think its fine to
> check a 20 year old ramdisk. :)

Hm, the year was 1998 on my system, I believe (can't check on this until
the weekend). Anyway, this is a silly message which can be prevented by
"tune2fs -i 0". Even 39 years isn't a problem then (40 years probably
will be, due to time_t overflow :-)

> > - The root1440.bin image and the base system don't have /dev/scd0. One
> >   needs to create this by hand to use the cdrom to install the base
> >   system etc from cdrom: "mknod /dev/scd0 b 11 0" (and again after
> >   rebooting from the hard disk).
>
> Same with sda8,... and sdc,... There are not enough device entries
> present. Same with the base.tgz, after rebooting you have to do the
> same again.

If there are new boot floppies end of this week, I can test it again.

> > - In "configure base system", the following appears as an error through
> >   the screen:
> >
> >     /target/usr/share/keytables/us.map.gz: No such file or directory
>
> Yep, I had the same, but with the german keymap. Thats a nasty bug.

> > - Choosing "mountable" doesn't mount the cdrom during the config of that
> >   access method, even though it says "OK". Even after I had fixed
> >   /etc/fstab and /dev/scd0 so that I could manually do "mount /cdrom" it
> >   still didn't actually mount the cdrom on its own. Mounting it by hand
> >   from another VC worked (the mount doesn't work, but as it's already
> >   mounted it's not a problem).
>
> Doesn't that read "mounted" filesystem? That would mean that its

No, I quite explicitly used "mountable". However, that method screws up
its mount attempt (and also doesn't detect that it screwed up).

> already mounted and not that it will be mounted. "cdrom" should be its

I NEVER use the "cdrom" entry, because it is Evil; it processes each and
every .deb on the cdrom, even if it isn't needed, and hence is bloody
slow. This is the most common complaint I hear from people who install
Debian for the first time. When I tell them to use the "mountable"
method, they ask why that isn't standard... I can't tell them :-(

BTW, it would be simple for the boot-floppies procedure to add an entry
to /etc/fstab for the cdrom. It asked me about the cdrom during the
first phase (twice!), so it should know what the device is. It is
apparently capable of adding /usr etc. partitions to the /etc/fstab, so
why not /cdrom ?

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl | debian: paul@debian.org