Re: Strange terminal and ethernet problem, boot problem solved

At 15:46 27.11.98 +0100, you wrote:
>> Ftp'ing to another machine freezes the system completely, but only happens
>> when I transfer a large file. Very small files work however. Pinging works
>> from both sides, and the card (NE1000 8bit) works in a similar pentium100
>> system.
>
>This I don't know...

If i remember right, i have heard sometime about problems with NE2000 and
NE1000 clones in alpha machines. But this seems to happen only under
rare conditions, i have a NE2000-clone in my AXPPCI33 right now, and
it works great. Normally i have a 3com Etherlink XL (3c900) PCI network
adapter in this machine, which works without problems too.

Maybe try a non NEx000-compatible card, like the 3Com's ?

--
Gruss Michael
kju@flummi.de, kju@irc