Comments on installation (boot-floppies 981115, mirror 981120)

I burnt a cdrom of sid as of 981120, with the boot-floppies of 981115 on
it. I only now had a chance to try it out (on my udb / multia). Here are
a couple of comments:

- In the README on Loic's site, in step 2b: after the "... choose  Add a
  boot selection" there should be added a line:

    - Choose "New system partition"

  Only then do you get the next choice "Floppy Disk 0".

- Also in the README, a couple of lines later, there is a line:

    - Use the down arrow to get "OSLOADFILENAME" up, and then type in ....

  This should be changed to say:

    - Use the down arrow to get "OSLOADFILENAME" up, hit ENTER, and then
      type in ....

- Mounting the ramdisk (loaded from the root1440.bin) gave a message
  about "too long since last check, e2fsck recommended". Not a problem,
  but very strange for a ramdisk :-)  Maybe that fs should be modified
  with "tune2fs -i 0"...

- The root1440.bin image and the base system don't have /dev/scd0. One
  needs to create this by hand to use the cdrom to install the base
  system etc from cdrom: "mknod /dev/scd0 b 11 0" (and again after
  rebooting from the hard disk).

- When selecting the modules to install, the message "Please wait while
  modules are" appears. I think this message is truncated somehow :-)

- When installing the modules, a message "/etc/conf.modules: No such
  file or directory" appears every time (also when rebooting from the
  hard disk). Is there an old version of modutils on the base system?
  I believe /etc/conf.modules is obsolete...

- In "configure base system", the following appears as an error through
  the screen:

    /target/usr/share/keytables/us.map.gz: No such file or directory

  This maybe also causes the problems after rebooting from hard disk,
  where before asking for the root password, you get to select a
  keytable, and the first selections are "arm i386 sparc ..."
  (approximate; no "alpha" in that list however). This is really weird.
  It then gives some error, and sits there. I waited a while and then
  hit enter. It then resumed the normal procedure (asked for root
  password, etc.).
  It looks like this is a problem with the kbd package, as something
  similar happened after dselecting all the stuff and kbd was
  configured.

- Choosing "mountable" doesn't mount the cdrom during the config of that
  access method, even though it says "OK". Even after I had fixed
  /etc/fstab and /dev/scd0 so that I could manually do "mount /cdrom" it
  still didn't actually mount the cdrom on its own. Mounting it by hand
  from another VC worked (the mount doesn't work, but as it's already
  mounted it's not a problem).

- The standard selection has some problems (I chose "choose tasks" and
  then "base", "development", "debian development").
  kernel-headers-2.0.32, libjpegg6a, xemacs20-bin and xemacs-nomule were
  selected even though they don't exist.

- Installing xserver-tga 3.3.2.3a-7.1 doesn't go smoothly.  This message
  appears:

    No default X server previously set, or previous default has been
    removed. echo -n Do you want to make the  X server the default?  (y/n) [y]

    The  X server is now the default.

  Note the "echo -n" and the two spaces before "X server".  A little
  later on in the procedure, there's a syntax error and the
  configuration bails out.  /etc/X11/Xservers begins with a line:

    /usr/X11R6/bin/

  I.e. no filename. Probably same problem as the two spaces above (some
  variable not filled in, or more likely a typo in the assignment).

- /etc/ld.so.config is empty! So, all the X shared libraries aren't
  configured. I put "/usr/X11R6/lib" into it, reran "ldconfig", and now
  it seems OK.

There were a couple of other minor nits, but those are probably due to
the fact that the archive wasn't completely in sync with itself (a
couple of things couldn't be found by dselect, but there was another
version in slink/main/binary-all).

All in all, not that bad :-)  Some work needs to be done, though.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl | debian: paul@debian.org
http://www.wurtel.demon.nl | Murphy Software,   Enschede,   the Netherlands