Re: dpkg problems. Am I alone?

    LP> These two changes looks worth to me, do you agree?

  I mildly diagree with both, but more as a matter of principle than
for any concrete technical reasons. The decision was specifically made
not to do the lchown -> chown thing since we want to discourage
incorrect program behaviour. You're probably right about no program
depending on the behaviour, but imagine this:

% mkdir a
% mkdir b
% mkidr c
% ln -s /etc/passwd a/b/c/.fish
% mail root
Hi, I have some files in my directory that I can't delete, because
blah blah blah. Could you please do something about this?
^D
%

<some time passes>

# chown -R user ~user

  Note that this remains a problem until someone recompiles chown(1)
anyway - but don't tell anybody.

  Secondly - kernel versions and things. Erm - as a matter of
principle, I prefer to do feature tests than version tests. It's
marginally more complex (one syscall either way, but slightly more
complex parsing), and it won't handle cases where people tweak kernel
version numbers or merge subsets of patches (admittedly, uncommon).

  Further opinions?

m, trying to offer a complete reply due to a two day vacation starting
in half an hour.