Strange terminal and ethernet problem, boot problem solved

Hello All,

The bootproblem I had after I flashed digital's latest image on my AXPpci33
was solved by switching the jumper to boot from floppy, flashing milo and
switching the jumper back again. Thanks to all who responded.

The other problem remains however, I searched all the faq's but cannot find
a solution.

My system:

AXPpci33 with 21066 166Mhz, 32 Mb ram, Digital S3 2Mb video card, 2 Gb IDE
HD, NE1000 (lowly 8bit) ethernet card.
Base debian-slink installed from 981102 floppies.

The problems:

Terminal emulation doesn't work properly, it seems that the screen is not
(always) refreshed after keystrokes. It's very hard to edit config files
with vi when the refresh is 4-5 keystrokes behind. I tried switching to both
ansi and vt100 terminals but the problem remains.

Ftp'ing to another machine freezes the system completely, but only happens
when I transfer a large file. Very small files work however. Pinging works
from both sides, and the card (NE1000 8bit) works in a similar pentium100
system.

Does anyone recognise these symptoms ?

I just tried the RedHat install (just the boot/ram disks) and the terminal
problem does not exist there, but the ftp problem does.

Thanks,

Marc Blom.