Re: update of the installation disks

On Wednesday,  4 Nov, Loic Prylli wrote:

> That would be great, but before building it, I would
> appreciate knowing more about the boot procedure on Ruffians, given
> the number of differrent options:
>
> [...]
>
> But there are also a new milo and ldmilo
> b7147b6a28d6e2005e2a9eca2f06f508  ldmilo-ruffian-981020
> ba40778b6b2b9ac2c9e3a9542ae5391b  milo-ruffian-981020
> Does these new files remove the need for ospal.nh?

Yes.

> 3) Now on the genie ftp directories, there is:
> 597188dd9e2c2fb80ae9ff778f40dc1  milo-981027/Ruffian

This is for use with the latest ldmilo (ldmilo-ruffian-981020).

> two milo.ful:
> 587eea0acf84859576d6fb9948d30c46  Ruffian-test/milo1.ful
> 535fcf7ed9207cde5b2cbabd5aef61d7  Ruffian-test/milo2.ful
> (The ruffian1.img and ruffian2.img also there use the osfpal.nh and
> ldmilo.exe in Test-Milos-981008/ruffian.img on gatekeeper, together
> with the milo[12].ful)

Images in Ruffian-test were built before the modern ldmilo came out,
they still require osfpal.nh.  Disk images in ruffian[12].img just contain
the same milo[12].ful, osfpal.nh and old ldmilo.exe.  Basically, that
stuff is outdated and pursues a specific purpose: to find an explanation
why MEMORY_SIZE on some Ruffians should be reduced from 256 to 224 Mb to
make Linux work.  Images in Ruffian-test contain simple memory detection
code to check the theory that physical memory may be discontiguous.

To summarize: Ruffian used to boot in its own way, different from all
other platforms, requiring different MILO images (uncompressed and
without PALcode).  Since the appearance of the new ldmilo, the
difference has significantly decreased: now Ruffian can boot normal
compressed MILO images in the same fashion as other platforms do, except
that it must use ldmilo.exe in place of linload.exe.

Nikita