Re: Problems with lchown..

On Mon, 2 Nov 1998 ninjaz@webexpress.com wrote:

> Exactly how is this lchown problem fixed?  I've got the most recent
> versions of libc6 and dpkg from ftp.debian.org installed, the .02 of the
> alpha kernel sources from gatekeeper, and tried the lchown version of
> libc6 on the rcpt.to site.

	I managed to pull if off by first upgrading sysvint and reboot to
stop init from thrashing the drives. Then upgrading libc6.1 and once again
reboot to stop init from thrashing the drives. Then I installed the latest
dpkg (after installing the needed deps, ncurses stuff). At this point the
lchown problem showed is ugly head, so I went and install the
kernel-source-2.0.35 and got the most recent alpha patches for 2.0.35 from
ftp.digital.com and applied them to the kernel-source. Had to manually
apply one patch to init/main.c concerning the TGA console, pretty simple.
Then compiled via 'make boot' and put the kernel in place for boot and
rebooted. At this point the lchown problem vainished and all was fine
again. Of course I had forewarning of the storm I was sailing into, so I
was prepared for some fun... that and my box is local. :) Hope this sheds
some light on how it can be and end up with a working machine.

	PS. I had upgraded gcc to the newest version a day before the
above sequence occurred for another reason entirely (trying to get pgsql
going...), so that may have affected the above sequence of events.

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                     |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)    |
|  Ryan Kirkpatrick  |  Boulder, Colorado  | rkirkpat@nag.cs.colorado.edu  |
|               http://www-ugrad.cs.colorado.edu/~rkirkpat/                |